Monday, January 28, 2013

Step Three: Taking a Break for Breakfast

I LOVE breakfast food, but hate eating breakfast! Eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, waffles, toast, hashbrowns, the list continues for awhile... Just the smell of these foods gets me excited to eat, but if it's any earlier than 10:30 in the morning, I want nothing to do with it. When my alarm goes off, I need to get ready for work and brew myself a cup of coffee. I don't usually leave time to do anything else, let alone make breakfast. I think I've always had this strange idea about breakfast. Like, if I don't eat it, it's okay because I don't have to worry about the extra calories. And, why would I want to eat when I don't feel hungry to begin with? It all sounded so stupid to me. Of course I've heard, like I'm sure most of you have, that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It does things like speed up your metabolism and give you energy to jumpstart your day. Blah, blah, blah. I didn't care. But, since I decided to change my lifestyle, I thought I better try eating breakfast. Here is what I found...

Eating breakfast really did speed up my metabolism. Even if I don't work out for three or four days, don't judge me...I already explained earlier that I can't be perfect all the time, when I eat breakfast I don't gain any weight back! Not only that, but by the time lunch rolls around, I'm not at all starving. I can eat a healthy sized portion and not feel like I want or need more.

So, what do I eat for breakfast, you ask? Fruit. Lots of different fruits. I haven't eaten this much fruit since...never. It isn't that I never liked fruit before, I just never 'made time for it.' I would eat something else instead, but now fruit comes naturally. I crave it. But, fruit isn't all I eat for breakfast. I vary between foods such as, whole wheat toast with peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, cheddar cheese and saltine crackers. Basically, I try to get in at least a half a piece of some kind of fruit and some sort of protein to go with it. Protein, as we all know, helps to fill you up. It's a win-win.

For years I've heard of the importance of breakfast, but never cared enough to test it out for myself. I was afraid that by eating it, it would actually make me gain weight. I can't believe how dense I was being. What it does, instead, is keep you from over eating the rest of the day. If you make conscious, healthy decisions about what you eat and how much for breakfast, then you can't lose. If you are not a breakfast eater, I dare you to try it for yourself and see if it changes the way you think about the most important meal of the day. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment