Monday, April 29, 2013

Blessed

Do you ever suddenly just stop and smile because you realize that right now, at this moment in time, you coudn't be any happier? Today I am feeling very blessed and appreciative of what I have. Let me tell you why...

Me and my second place medal :)

I spent this last weekend visiting my half brother Jay and his family down in Carroll. I went down to Carroll primarily because I was running in a 5K at Swan Lake. I drove down there Friday afternoon, had a nice relaxing evening with the family, and got up early Saturday morning for the run. It was a much chillier morning than I expected it to be, but nothing like the last 5K I did in February! Anyways, as I began the run, which went on the trail around the lake, I was feeling really good...until about the .2 mile mark where there began a nice steep hill. Yucky. Turns out the whole trail was up and down with small and big hills to test each step I took. I'm used to running on pretty much all flat ground, so this was actually a challenge for me because not only was I trying to keep my pace, but I was really focusing on trying to step it up and get a great time. I ended up finishing in 2nd place with a time of 25:03, which I was really happy with. I wouldn't say that it's an amazing time, but it's so much better than what I was running earlier in the year. My body has come a long ways in a few months and I couldn't be happier with that.

 I will defnitely be going back next year to run in this particular race again. The run was hosted by SunnyBrook of Carroll, an assisted living type of place that works hard with Alzheimer's patients. The registration monies went to research for a cure. I love when the enterance fees actually go towards a good cause and not just for whatever. It makes the runs that much more meaningful for me.

The fact that I did well at this run is not the only reason why I am feeling blessed. As I said, I stayed with my half brother Jay and his family all weekend. He is married to a fantastic lady and has two amazingly well behaved children. Did I mention they were cute as heck, too? I have several siblings who I love deeply, but first met Jay only three years ago. He and I share the same biological father, but he was given up for adoption when he was born. We were able to find each other through Facebook and the rest is history I guess! I feel so blessed to have met him and gotten to know his family, including his adoptive parents. I have never known a man who was more caring and devoted to his family than Jay is. I know he doesn't know it, but I look up to him so much! After every visit I have with him and his wife, I go home striving to be a better person and have a renewed sense of faith. They are my role models, and I only hope to be half the parents that they are someday. Blessed...that's what I am just to know them. Blessed <3

No comments:

Post a Comment